Sorrow's Elegance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming History

4 posters

Go down

Gaming History Empty Gaming History

Post by Miss Valentine Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:01 pm

I was going back through my gaming history, trying to find where it all started. It actually started when my mum got a G7000, but no-one would probably know what one of those is (the pixels were the size of Mario blocks), but my first ever memories of gaming came from playing Sling Shot, Cowboy Gunslinger and Crazy Chase (a it like Pacman in super pixelly form). It set me off thinking about all the most early consoles, that led me to my passion for the computer.

So I went forward slightly to when the Commodore 64 came along. Wow we thought that was amazing! The games came on cassette tapes, and it took about 15 mins to load a game, but there were lots of pretty colours to watch while you waited, the anticipation was always huge!! Fantasy World Dizzy was my favourite!!! Smile I just wondered if anyone remembered this relic of relics, my mum still has one put away at her house!

Maybe more people would remember the Commodore Amiga, the huge step up from the 64 and the predecessor of the first Nintendo console. I remember playing Pacman and Lemmings on that thing, it was competely awesome, and it had a mouse!!!!!

Am I just really old, or does anyone remember any of the oldest computer consoles? And if not these ones, then which was the first console any of you guys ever came into contact with? Share your gaming history!!!!
Miss Valentine
Miss Valentine

Female
Number of posts : 4653
Registration date : 2007-09-26

Back to top Go down

Gaming History Empty Re: Gaming History

Post by Terminus Est Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Nice thread. Smile

Ack, I am older then you, and do not know about Commodores and Amigas...but here is a brief gaming biography-

Gisèle's Obscure Gaming History

It all started when I was about nine, and saw a friend of mine playing video games on his Nintendo and Super Nintendo-I wanted one! I lived with my father then, and he did not have much money, but I asked for a Nintendo anyway, for Christmas.

He did not get me a Nintendo...he told me he had went to Radio Shack, and they proposed to him a better console-a Turbo Grafix 16!

I was SO happy with it. Three games came with it, and for years, I forgot about the Nintendo (I eventually got my hands on about four used ones-and I never played them as much as the Turbo grafix 16.) and had a blast with my console. When I finished a game, I always went to trade them in for new ones, so I never really kept any.

I have fond memories of the Turbo Grafix 16, as a console that presented pure entertainment above anything else, as opposed to the feeding of mainstream top selling games and their rehashes and shadows.

It failed, completely, because of its honest intentions, but while I had it, it sure did not fail me, and it also built my foundation for my love of video games.

At the age of fourteen or so, I finally got a Super Nintendo for Christmas, and it repeats itself, it was fun, and to this day, I still own it. XD It works fine, considering the damage it was dealt through the years.

The Super Nintendo was my second paving stone, as it introduced me to role playing games with Final Fantasy II/IV and Secret of Mana, from then on until now, it is my favourite type of game.

Later, I worked through sweat and blood with weekend and after school jobs to purchase a PlayStation and Final Fantasy VII. I obtained it all after some months, and my father got Final Fantasy VII for my birthday a bit after. But by then I lived in foster homes, and my copy of Final Fantasy VII was taken away because it was deemed as inappropriate for a teenage girl. How retarded.

I was so demoralized that I sort of gave up on video games and spent my free time in the streets getting drunk, arrested for petty breaching of law like messing around in construction sites and disturbing the peace, until I turned eighteen and had to move out. I WAS going to take my Playstation with me, but it was stolen by one of the foster kids and sold. Sad

And they say video games ruin children-see what happened to me after they took my game away?

So anyways, it took me a while to get a decent job with enough money to spare for video games, I eventually got a PlayStation again, and slowly got back into gaming with used copies of the Final Fantasy games and my Super Nintendo games, which somehow survived the thieving hands of my foster mates.

Today, I own a crapload of consoles and over three hundred games in all, and am not tired of this hobby yet. Smile
Terminus Est
Terminus Est
God's Mistake

Female
Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-07-28

http://sege.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Valentine Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:37 am

Wow that's some story!!!!!

I'm so amazed that after eveything you've been through, you have kept your love of gaming and it's been such a big part of your life. I can't believe they took you copy of FFVII away, did they really think they were doing you some justice with that? I've never believed all that crap about games being the parasite on modern existence because so many great people have grown up with games, and if I keeps people off th street and in their home, then in times when crime is so high then surely it's doing society a favour?

Nope the Turbo Grafix 16 is lost on me, though I only knew the consoles which came into our household. I was about 7 when we first got the Nintendo, then 9 when the Super Nintendo came along. They were always bought for my big brother, but me and my little brother got more use out of them because we would play together, my big brother would get really angry and smash things up if he was losing at anything. Me and my little brother rocked at Street Fighter and Mario Bros. But then we never lost our tempers like he did. I remember being 14 and our Playstation which we had for about a year, my brother stomped on it and smashed it to pieces because his pirate game wouldn't load. That was also when I first saw FFVII, though I wasn't allowed to touch that one, and I never played it until March this year!!!!

The 1st ( and only) console I ever owned was a PS2, and I got my 1st ever FF game with it, which was X. My ex kept them which I was heartbroken about, but now I play most of my games at my mum's.

It's great that you worked so hard to keep gaming, and I think it's done more good than harm!! Very Happy
Miss Valentine
Miss Valentine

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JET73L Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:36 pm

I've played games ever since I was a kid, but not often. Mainly Arcade games, especially a Gauntlet console at the college's arcade room. I also had one of the original Game Boys from when I was really young, because my dad got one aft3er they first came out. Had Castlevania 2, Final Fantasy Legend, Tetris, and Super Pro Am RC Racing. Also a couple of fighter pilot games. My mom packed it with a leaking grape juice bottle for a field trip, it was ruined along with the cartridge in it, and she refused to replace it until finally giving me a GBA for my birthday years later. The first games I got for it were Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, and since then I've gotten numerous Game Boy series games including FFLegends II and III and every pokemon handheld game besides Green (japanese version of Blue) and Crystal, and stuff like Pokemon Sudoku or Connect 4 and the Mystery Dungeon games. The first home console game I'd taken a liking to was Final Fantasy X when I was staying with some of my mom's friends and one of them had a PS2. I was able to get my own PS2, along with a copy of the just-released DBZ:Budokai 3 (I think it was 3, it was the one with Goku punching troward the camera ion a black background) and recieved FFX as a birthday present a few days later. Didn't get many more games until I got a better allowance, because at 25c per chore per day (or week, in some cases) it takes forever to save up enough money, but I got FFVII as soon as I could find it while I wasn't broke.. I got mainly RPGs, but some other games like the previous Budokai game. After a while, I recieved a gift card for the sucky game store, GamePro or GameShop or whatever (Not GameStop, I like that place) and got a Gamecube. For this, over a few months, I got Pokemon Colosseum, Metroid Prime, and LoZ: the WindWaker. After seeing a preview of KH:CoM and liking the song, I decided to see what Kingdom Hearts was, but all I found was that the cartridge wasn't released yet. Later, I ran across an E3 or GamePro preview of the first KH2 videeo, got the Guide for the first game (to see if the storylione so8unded good, because $4 for a book about a possibly sucky game is better than $30 for a possibly sucky game itself), and then got the game itself. Loved it, got CoM, then went to hastings every day for a month until they gave me a prorder (they messed it up and sold my copy, but it turned out one of the employees had gotten more than they preordered and I got one of the extras and a free rental). Since then, I've collected many older games or re-releases such as the original .Hack, the WindWaker preorder disc Collector's Edition, and FFVIII, as well as some new games such as FFXII. I've been focusing on the Nintendo DS since I got a DSLite after saving and using birthday money the year after Trace Memory came out (For an interesting anecdote, I remember this rather than the date because Ashley[the main character]'s birthday was the same as mine, it centered on her birthday, and I finished the at about eleven PM on my birthday and got to blow out the candles on the cake after the credits, which made up for me not getting an analog cake at all that year.) I'm currently hoping to be able to get the Nintendo Wii by or at Christmas, depending on my financial situation. Partly because of the fun and exercize and so I can have both versions of LoZTP, but also because in the Wii version of RE4, there is unnecessary use of the Mii feature for the zombies Smile.
JET73L
JET73L
God's Mistake

Male
Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2007-10-03

http://www.freewebs.com/jet73l/

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Valentine Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:18 pm

Mii feature, my little brother and sister love that. They made a Sephiroth Mii and it's pretty cool!

you had to work really hard also for your gaming stuff, I totally admire you guys. I want to save up for a PSP so I can play Crisis Core when it comes out, it will be an achievement because I've got the little guy to look after. I remember when I used my birthday money when I was 10 or 11 to buy Sonic 3 for the Mega-Drive, that almost broke me and put me off buying other games, so I would wait for someone else to buy them and then steal theirs! Twisted Evil
Miss Valentine
Miss Valentine

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaos' Master Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:37 pm

though my gaming history is no where near as interesting as JET's or Termy's, here it is.

I don't actually remember when it was that I first got interested in video games, though I'm told that when I was around 6 months old I already had a fascination with my parent's computer...well, I played with it....by turning it on and off while my parents were using it Very Happy .

But, the next console I ever remember playing was either the sega genesis or the NES, whichever one came out first, because my brothers had them both. I actually owned no games for either of those consoles, because they were my brother's consoles and they only really let me watch them play, unless there were multiplayer games, such as street fighter(I loved the one guy that looks like a beast) or the X-men game for sega.

After my brothers got a playstation, I was given the NES, and got all of the games for it, I was in heaven, I was given a little black and white TV to use with it, and I remember loving Who framed Roger Rabbit and the legend of Zelda, which is what truly sparked my love for RPG's. there were also quite a few other games, which I still have and still play every once in a while. But, my NES now only works with games if you have the game genie in there, and if you didn't know, its the gameshark for NES.

But, when my brothers got the playstation, they also got an N64 before that, and I was back to watching them and hoping for multiplayer games. The one game I was really allowed to play by myself was the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time, which was amazing!!! But the game system that really dragged me into RPG's was my brother's playstation. He played so many RPG's while I watched that I had no choice to be hooked by them.

Now, the next significant event happened when I was about ten years old, the PS2 came out. I was given my brother's playstation and quite a few of his games. I got FFVII, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2(which I never played, I'm too much of a scardy cat), and Crash Bandicoot!!!! Around that time as well, I was given an N64 for my birthday, I was floating everywhere at that point.

Then, two years later, I got my hands on a PS2 and a Gamecube. That is pretty much where I am now, playing games on PS2, PC, and, every once in a while, the Gamecube.

SO, my history is pretty much, I waited and watched my brothers play video games, and got their handme downs until I was about ten-twelve, then I was given my game systems from boxes, not brothers. Right now, I'm saving up for a PS3, and I can't wait 'till I get it.
Chaos' Master
Chaos' Master

Male
Number of posts : 1037
Registration date : 2007-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down