Sorrow's Elegance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychological experiment- What would your reaction be?

2 posters

Go down

Psychological experiment- What would your reaction be? Empty Psychological experiment- What would your reaction be?

Post by JET73L Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Psychological Experiment (hypothetical)

Props:
1 apartment or small living space
1 recording (23 hours of clock's tick-tock sound, cut slightly so that it is just occasionally "off." See Lord Vetinari's office clock in the Discworld books)
1 silent analog clock
1 volunteer

Process: Volunteer knows that they are being studied for a psychologcal experiment, What they don;t know is what the experiment is. Place the recording, looped, in the silent analog clock (so the sound of the clock itself does not interfere with the recorded sound). Remove all other analog clocks from the area (thus the reason for the small space). Wait for a reaction.

Proposed possible results of experiment:
-Subject becomes increasingly paranoid, possibly believing that house is haunted
-subject becomes uneasy, and eventually depressed or easily confused
-subject realises the clock is off, and that that was the purpose of the experiment
-subject does not react, and for all outside observation appears to be unaffected.

Of these, or any other reaction, what do you think you would eventually do? I think I would obsessively search for the center of the experiment, and later the source of my unease, until I either realised it was the clock (likely, if it's an experiment that I have thought about previously), or become paranoid, or possibly even convinced of a paranatural force causing the apartment to be posessed or haunted. What do you think the effect would be on you?
JET73L
JET73L
God's Mistake

Male
Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2007-10-03

http://www.freewebs.com/jet73l/

Back to top Go down

Psychological experiment- What would your reaction be? Empty Re: Psychological experiment- What would your reaction be?

Post by Miss Valentine Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:31 am

It might be surprising to see how many people follow the fourth reaction, and notice nothing. Would be an interesting reflection on how passive humans can sometimes be Razz

As for another reaction, I think there might be combinations of the ones listed. If we are looking at a 24hour time period, you may see more than one reaction occur, at differing points during that time. You might even see all four occur!!

There's also the possibility that a person may try and communicate with any kind of suspected paranormal activity (say through prayer, meditation or a makeshift "seance"), which would be rather amusing Very Happy
Miss Valentine
Miss Valentine

Female
Number of posts : 4653
Registration date : 2007-09-26

Back to top Go down

Psychological experiment- What would your reaction be? Empty Re: Psychological experiment- What would your reaction be?

Post by JET73L Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:37 am

THe experiment would be set to have them live in the apartment with the clock for as long as it takes them to develop a severe, noticeable condition (on another forum, it was necessary to mention that everythign would be the same in their life except for living in the apartment with the clock). I really intended to have possible outcomes that would, with severity, prevent the other outcomes (subject becomes too depressed to obsess about what was not right, subject becomes paranoid to the point that they can't think straight enough to determine a locical course of action, etc). Although that is an interesting idea you had, of that the subject, in result 1, believes so firmly thatr the space is posessed/haunted that they attempt to communicate with whatever is causing the... Incorrectness.

(I don;t think iI posted this on FFNet, so it'll be up to who else stops by and how soon as to how many replies this gets.)
JET73L
JET73L
God's Mistake

Male
Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2007-10-03

http://www.freewebs.com/jet73l/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum