This is the End.

Go down

This is the End.

Post by Terminus Est on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:57 pm

Well it has been up for a year, but has remained in a state of undeath, mwaha. Of course it is partly my fault, but what can ye do.

I am not saying that I will close the forum, but I've definitely been thinking of it. I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter, if you will.

Female
Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-07-28

View user profile http://sege.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: This is the End.

Post by Mr. Midgar on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:12 am

Well, it's not like it costs any money or anything... and it certainly hasn't been overrun by bots.

It is very quiet, but some people seem to be enjoying it. Of course I am barely here, so I really shouldn't have any strong say in the matter, but I see no harm in keeping it up and running, at least for now. The ultimate decision should be with you.

I DO think this forum needs a bit of an overhaul though... there are far too many sections for the low amount of traffic we get through here. (Some sections havn't even been posted in yet) If it was streamlined a bit it would be much more concise and suitable to the current environment.
Mr. Midgar

Male
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2007-12-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminus Est on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:41 am

Maybe I should try to prune it a little bit, in regards to the circumstances?

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JET73L on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:12 am

Don;t close the forum! I could take over as another mod, if necessary. We could "streamline" the forum, combining superfluous or redundant areas, and I'll certainly help with that. But this place is really cool, and as soon as we get more people here (and if we remind the regulars over at FF about this place, they might come back, assuming they all return withing a close time period). Assuming it's not costing money, it would be worth it to keep this place open just as a backup for FFNet, in case the merger with KH3 goes through, or if FFNet is ovberrun by bots or trolls. An overhaul could be useful, and I volunteer to help (I seem to be the only person to log in nearly every day), but I certainly will add SE links/ads to what sites I am authorized to do so (for free, money is a luxury that can't be spent on advertising right now).
JET73L
God's Mistake

Male
Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2007-10-03

View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/jet73l/

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminus Est on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:20 pm

No, it does not cost money, but I just figured it was not being used. Well, before closing it I will try to prune it a little bit, to make it smaller.
In this case, does anyone have any suggestions on which sections of the forum to keep, and what to get rid of?

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by zotar on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:56 pm

hmmm... games, chat, philosophical stuff, world news... That should do it....
zotar

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JET73L on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:44 pm

Combine Laughing Wolf Inn with either Whisperwind Cove or Crescent House

Combine Alucard's Confessional with The Falling Axe

Make the Status Screen and The Dance Hall (edit: not the dance hall) a Stickied thread in Crescent House, or set up a Personal Forum, and have them stickied at the top of there. Maybe make Alucard's COnfessional a subsection of the personal forum.

Combine Gestahl's Assembly with The Town Hall

Maybe combine Shinryu's Chest and the Cathedral into a new forum section, maybe combine also Cid's Laboratory, but probably not.

Combine everything in Stonehenge into one forum section, except for Midgar, which would combine with The Town Hall, which would also contain posts for Gestahl's Assembly.

Instead of moving the Dance Hall to Crescent House, add it to the Gold Saucer subforum

Make the Gold Saucer a Personal Forum and add Alucard's Confessional and The Falling Axe

(Sorrow's Elegance)
The Marble Corridor
-The Title Screen
-Narshe Training Academy
-The Round Table
The World Map
-Crescent House
-Whisperwind Cove(Laughing Wolf Inn)
-Cross and Hatchet
The Crossroads
-The Town Square (Gestahl's Assembly/Midgar)
-Cosmo Canyon
-Estonhenj (The River Styx, THe Phantom Train, most of Bloodlines)
-The Ivory Tower (The Cathedral/Shinryu's Chest, Cid's Laboratory)
Gold Saucer/Personal Forum
-Media (The Opera House/THe Ghastly Theatre)
-Setzer's Airship
-Low-Tech Area (The Library/The Coffee Table)
-Alucard's Confessional(The Falling Axe)
-The Forgemaster's Rooms
-The Status Screen/The Dance Hall
The Catacombs
-Daryl's Tomb
-Juste's Room/THe X-Zone

If anyone has any better ideas, Just offer them. Again, I'm going to volunteer my time and effort to work on the forum, since I'm getting more time nowadays (I've not really got much experience working on forums, but I pick stuff up pretty quickly). Even with my job duruing the fall semester, I should have enough time to help with forum upkeep.
JET73L
God's Mistake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminus Est on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:04 am

Very well, let us see what others have to say, but your idea sounds good. I agree that there are too many sections.
I can give you moderatorship and access to the base if you want it?

I am not saying; do all the work, of course not; I will help you too, but it might be easier this way.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by zotar on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:04 pm

How about embedding a set of music into the forums? just a thought since i figuerd out how to do that on blogs.
zotar

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JET73L on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Right, Terminal. I was volunteering. I really like this place and don;t want to see it die any more than I would want FFNet to die, but I've really taken a fancy to this project, to use a hackneyed phrase, and would like to help as much as I can.

As for music, if there is a way to set it up so that you could choose your background music (like how you choose the forum design on FFNet or KH3, or, I assume, here), whether you want music or not. A nice relaxed background tone would be a good fit for the forum. (note: I do not advocate the placement of music on forums. I;m just saying it;s an interesting idea, and could be useful if properly executed.)
JET73L
God's Mistake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Terminus Est on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Music may be interesting, but what exactly do you mean? Like it would play while we are on here?

I would also love to know how we can get Arcade games on here...

Okay, well, JET, I gave you a rank, so you are able to go inside the forums and change them. I believe I can trust you with this, but please, let us wait a few days before doing any changes. I will make a thread announcing this, and wanting to hear people's suggestions.

Also JET, I certainly appreciate your dedication, and maybe you would like to moderate the forums as well? I hope it works, I am not sure if MV and Firesnake want to keep doing it, but in the meanwhile, maybe you would like to? Either way, you have the rank to do it now, but do not feel obligated, either.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Midgar on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:26 am

Congrats JET, I know you will be a fine administrator.

And in regards to adding features, is there anyway to be able to embed YouTube videos?... or is that a bit beyond the capabilities of the freesoftware?

Also, is there anyway to widen the middle column on the front page menu? The margins on either side seem oftly large. I was not sure if this is only the way it shows up on my desktop. But because some of the sections like "Narshe Training School" and " The Round Table" have longer descriptions the look quite thick.

I only bring this up becasue one of the reasons I didn't like how this forum origially had so many sections is becasue I didn't like to scroll down so much when looking for new posts. If the middle column was widened the front page wouldn't be so long. Do I make sense? Can this be changed? Cool

EDIT: I just noticed something, when I logged out there was an ad banner on the top of the forum title screen middle column, and it did in fact widen everything and made it much better, but when I logged in again the banner disappeared and the column got narrower again. Why does this happen?
Mr. Midgar

Male
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2007-12-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JET73L on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:51 pm

I assume the change back is because you made the change when logged out, rather than logged in, so when you logged in as Mr. Midgar it overrode the settings you had as Guest.

As for new posts, on the home page (not the front page, but where you go when you click Home), to the bottom right of the portal strip, there is a list of three options (below the PM button). The first or second one is View New Posts, where it shows you posts made since you last logged in, and updates even while you are on the forum. Very useful.

As for the propmotion: *fistpump similar to Bender in final shot of Breakfast club* I intend to work to the best of my abilities, and promise not to go mad with power.
JET73L
God's Mistake

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: